Kane County Government
How Do I


Kane County Facilities, Development and Environmental Resources

Environmental Resources
Water Resources Division - Local Drainage Assistance

Drainage Complaints

Water Resources is available to answer questions and provided technical assistance about problems you might be having with drainage.

Helpful sources of additional information:

  • Bylaws or covenants of your homeowner's association
  • Plat of subdivision: may be found at the recorder's office or on the recorder's website.
  • Engineering plans: may be available by contacting Water Resources.

Regarding creeks and streams

The maintenance of streams, creeks, ponds or other bodies of water is typically the responsibility of the property owner. However, some subdivisions were created with drainage or conservation easements over the creek or pond. The easement may describe who is responsible, possibly the homeowner's association.

If a beaver dam or log jam is backing up water, the first step is to determine whose property the blockage is located on and inform the property owner.

If banks are eroding or the channel needs to be cleaned, the property owner should contact the Army Corps of Engineers before attempting any work to verify if a permit is required or not. Material including rocks, soil, or broken concrete should NEVER be placed in a stream or creek without prior approval of the Army Corps of Engineers or Kane County.

Regarding Sump Pumps

If your sump pump runs continuously, even during dry weather, there may be a problem with a high groundwater table.

If you have experienced water in your basement, but only during a storm event, your sump pump may have malfunctioned, or there is an issue with the way it was installed. Verify that your pump discharge has a proper air gap. Check the power supply to the pump. Confirm that the pump is working and the float is activating correctly.

If your neighbor's sump pump runs constantly onto your property:
  • Talk to them to relocate the discharge point to a nearby stormsewer. Newer subdivisions have sump pump connection points for all lots.
  • If there is no piped system to connect to, it may be possible to direct the discharge to dry well.
  • Piping sump pump discharge directly to ditches, creeks or swales is discouraged and only should be considered as a last resort.
  • A constant flow of water into ditches can keep the area saturated preventing homeowners from cutting the grass in the ditch and also can increase the risk of severe erosion. All of which will create bigger problems for the neighborhood.

With any sump pump problem that you have difficulty resolving, please contact Water Resources. Depending upon the severity of the situation, we can provide technical assistance and evaluate the problem if there is an enforceable action.