Kane County Government
How Do I


Kane County Recycles Banner

Motor Oil.png 

It is important for Kane County residents who change their own engine oil or who otherwise come to possess used or surplus​ motor oil to dispose of it safely. According to IEPA, just one gallon of motor oil, disposed of improperly, can render a million gallons of water unsafe for drinking. Used oil is also highly recyclable, and can be re-refined into lubricating oil and other valuable products.

Auto Service and Parts Stores​

There are many, many locations in the County that will accept used motor oil, including most major auto parts chains (e.g., AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA Auto Parts, O'Reilly Auto Parts, etc.). Many auto repair centers also accept used oil, including Pep Boys, Firestone​​ Complete Auto Care, Valvoline, WalMart Auto Centers, etc.​ Earth ​911 can help you find the closest option based on your zip code.

Please call ahead to your local parts store or maintenance shop​ to enquire about acceptance and fees. 

oil change.png

HHW Programs

​Residential quantities of motor oil, and any oil/fuel mixtures can also be disposed of through Household Hazardous Waste programs, including the Kane County Home Pickup Program​ (for residents of eligible townships and municipalities) and the Naperville HHW facility​ (open to all Illinois residents). Additionally, most municipal or state HHW collection events will accept oil and oil/fuel mixtures. There are no fees to use​ these programs.

Township Programs

Some Kane townships have motor oil recycling programs. Information is as follows:

Batavia Township Road District: Residents may call (630) 879-5515 to schedule

Dundee Township Road DistrictResidents may call (847) 426-0898 to schedule pick up 

Large Quantities (100+ gallons)​

Crystal Clean​, 1-877-938-7948​​
GFL/Future Environmental, 708-479-6900
Indian Oil Recycling, 773-454-5798​
Safety Kleen​, 1-800-323-5040​