Kane County Government
How Do I
Kane County Recycles Banner

Find a Hauler

​If you live in an unincorporated area of a township without a franchised hauling agreement, you may select any hauler that is licensed in the County. Here is our most recent list of licensed haulers​. The County Recycling Coordinator recommends that residents talk with their neighbors and collect several quotes to make a cost-effective selection.

Hauler Licensing

All commercial waste haulers are required by ordinance to be licensed by Kane County Dept. of Environmental and Water Resources to operate in the County. This is true whether a company holds municipal contracts to haul residential waste or not. 

  • A company that only holds commercial contracts in Kane County must be licensed;
  • A company that only rents and hauls roll-off containers must be licensed;
  • A company that only manages construction and demolition debris must be licensed;
  • A company that only operates transfer trucks must be licensed. 

License fees are based on the number of hauling vehicles in operation. Single-truck operations are not required to pay a fee, but still must be licensed. 

​If you represent a hauling company that is not currently licensed and wishes to operate in Kane County, please email recycle@countyofkane.org or call 630-208-3841.

For current license holders, the annual licensing cycle is as follows:
  • October​: License Applications/Renewals are sent to all current license holders via email
  • November 30th: License Application/Renewal forms and payment are due. Applicants can mail forms in with a check for the fee or can email the form​ and pay online. Licensees with one truck and no fee are encouraged to email their forms.
  • December: License or Exemption certificates are issued for the following calendar year, and requests for Annual Tonnage Reports are issued via email
  • January 31st: Tonnage Reports for the previous year are due via email​​

Other Hauler Responsibilities

Haulers are required by ordinance to offer recycling service to all customers in Kane County receiving trash service (i.e., a hauler may not opt out of offering recycling service in a specific geographic area in which they operate trash service). Customers are responsible to sign up ​and pay for recycling service.

Haulers are required by ordinance to provide basic recycling guidance to their commercial customers who do receive recycling service at least once every two years.

Haulers are required by ordinance to provide a written offer to add recycling service to all commercial customers who receive waste service but who do not have recycling service at least once every two years or once per contract term, whichever is shorter. This written offer should include a request that the customer to accept or decline in writing.

Haulers are required by ordinance to make all reasonable efforts to broker sorted and baled recyclables before such material may be disposed in a landfill or incinerator.​​

FAQs for Haulers (PDF)
Electronic License Fee Payments​ ​