Kane County Government
How Do I


Human Resources Management Department

Freque​ntly Asked Questions

How do I apply for a position in Kane County?

Anyone seeking a position with Kane County must complete an employment application. Applications can also be obtained from the Kane County Government Center, Building A, room 312, 719 Batavia Avenue, Geneva, IL 60134. Completed and submitted applications will be sent to the office/department with the vacancy and the applicant will be contacted by that department or office directly.

Is a criminal history background check required?

Kane County requires that all candidates being considered for employment by an office or department complete a written authorization form and submit to digital fingerprinting before an offer of employment is tendered. Conviction information is obtained from the Illinois State Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

What benefits are provided by the County?

Kane County employees enjoy a wide variety of competitive fringe benefits including: comprehensive medical coverage from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois (PPO, HMO), dental coverage from Cigna (PPO, DHMO), vision coverage from Eye Med, short term sick/personal days, extended sick days, holidays, defined pension plan from the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (regular and SLEP), deferred compensation plan through Nyhart, vacation, and tuition reimbursement.

What about positions with the Sheriff's Office?

The Kane County Sheriff's Merit Commission screens applicants for the Sheriff's Office. All deputized personnel of the Sheriff's Office are under the jurisdiction of the Kane County Sheriff's Merit Commission. All other applicants for positions in the Sheriff's office should complete an application from the Kane County Sheriff's Office.

Are there residency requirements?

The Kane County Board has not adopted any resolutions or ordinances requiring residency within Kane County. However, residency requirements may pertain to positions under the Sheriff's Merit Commission. Please contact the Merit Commission at 630-232-3558 for further information.

What about positions with the Kane County Forest Preserve?

Applicants interested in positions with the Kane County Forest Preserve District must complete a Forest Preserve District application and other employment documents. Contact the Kane County Forest Preserve District at 630-232-5921 for further information.